Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Te Marae

Today we had the incredible opportunity to visit a Marae (a sort of Maori spiritual community center). It was only a 10 minute walk down the road from our campus! It was a first for all of us students, and we all seemed to come away with the same peaceful and appreciative experience.
EcoQuest and the nearest Marae have a close and respected bond, which was expressed when the chief invited us to their Marae even though a funeral ceremony was in place. Originally, we were going to visit the Marae this week, but Joe (the chief) thought it'd be acceptable to invite us today. I will do my best to try to recall the events of the day!

First, we arrived at the Marae and waited in the covered gate for the "kai karanga" (the woman who calls us into the Marae). Ria, one of the co-founders of EcoQuest responded this chant in Maori. We proceeded in rows of four, with women in the front and men in the back. Before we entered the "marae-atea" (the meeting place), we had to take off our shoes. The women filed into the back rows of seats, then the men sat in front, and we faced our hosts. Joe greeted us with a long speech in Maori, and our "chief" Jono responded. Jono also brought up a "koha" or a gift to the "tapu" or center of the room. Next, the "waiata" or songs were shared by either side.
We learned a traditional Maori song called "Te aroha" which interprets to "love, faith, and peace, be amongst us all."

It went like this:
te ahora
he whakapono
e te rangimarie
tatau tatau e

I'll sing it for everyone when I get back! I found it so beautiful that everyone sings, and it's a part of greeting guests. This must be why polynesians are such good singers! ;)

Next, we proceeded in single file line over to the Maori (there were only 10 of them or so). To greet them, we did a "hongi" which is a kind gesture where you gently press your nose and forehead to the other person, and shake hands. We were all smiling by the end! I felt more welcomed by this gesture than a simple handshake! We also ate together in their wharekai.

We were all really appreciative that they allowed us into their Marae, even though a funeral was in progress. It was my first time actually seeing the body at a wake, and it was less creepy than I thought it'd be! He just looked peaceful, and full of wisdom. I truly enjoyed participating in the Maori customs, and I look forward to more interactions.

3 comments:

  1. Hi I'm in school and you are sleeping right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see an update from you, Lynch! It's been what 2 days? ;) Wow! What an experience - I'm glad you weren't terrified seeing a dead body. I'm thinking we can sing "Te aroha" in one of our family gatherings - have a "karaoke" night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite a thorough recollection!
    What a remarkable event; so foreign to all of you, yet the Maori were so open and welcoming that you were able to make an immediate spirtual connection. Really extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete